Schools in Newtown, Conn., deployed extra security Nov. 25 in preparation for the scheduled release of the report on last year’s shooting that killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
That deployment included increased police presence at schools with help from neighboring towns’ police forces, Interim Superintendent John Reed told parents in an email, according to a report from Reuters.
“By supporting one another, we will work our way through these challenging circumstances,” Reed said in the Reuters report.
On Dec. 14, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at their Newtown home, and then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School, where he once attended, and killed 26 people before killing himself.
The official investigative report on the massacre had been expected much earlier, but was delayed a number of times. A Connecticut law passed earlier this year says that some evidence from the state's investigation will never be made available to the public, Reuters said.
The law, passed in response to the shooting, prohibits the release of photographs, film, video and other visual images showing a homicide victim if they can “reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy of the victim or the victim's surviving family members,” Reuters reported.
In the aftermath of the shooting, a number of school security measures have been proposed and put in place, while many have gone by the wayside, experts say. You can read about that here.